15. Purple Coach Conversations' interview with David Silverston, Trustee of Non profit organisation 'Save a Child's Heart'
David Silverston is a Trustee of a Non profit organisation Save a Child's Heart, providing life saving cardiac surgery to children all over the world regardless of race, religion gender or nationality, who lack access to pediatric cardiac care.
Over the last 25 years Save a Child's Heart has treated over 6,000 children in 63 countries worldwide.
In this episode we talk about:
- How it all started 25 years ago, when a doctor in Ethiopia came into contact with 2 young girls with Congenital heart disease. He contacted a professor in America and asked for help. This began the start of Save a Child's Heart, in Israel. They don’t only perform the surgeries, but also train doctors inside their own countries to perform the surgeries.
- “Mending hearts, building bridges”. David shows us a wonderful video of a Palestinian patient, Hamza. Hamza underwent open-heart surgery at Wolfson Medical Center (WMC) in Holon, Israel, by the SACH volunteer medical team. His recovery from this surgery was very complicated.
This is a story about a medical team who fought tirelessly for the life of a critically ill child, a story of a brave little boy who survived against all odds, and a story of people, of human beings, helping each other regardless of their origin and religion. This is the story of Save a Child's Heart:
- Inclusive leadership and the impact of SACH in the lives of the people that they save and how it impacts them and their community.
- “To save a life is to save the world" - how 'Save A child’s heart' is a true example of inclusive leadership. The stories of the children and how these surgeries change the course of their lives.
- The diversity of the team at the Charity and how their work is not defined by religion, race, culture or anything other than their devotion to change children's lives.
- A massive project SACH is undertaking - they have built a dedicated hospital for SACH hospital in Israel that could allow them to double the lives that they are currently saving.
Watch the full video interview below:
You can also listen to an audio version of our interview here:
Connect with Save a Child's Heart:
You can also donate by clicking here
'Save a Child's Heart's Social Media Channels: